Wise (Wellness Initiative for Senior Education)
The Wellness Initiative for Senior Education (WISE) Program celebrates healthy aging and educates older adults on a variety of topics including safe medication use, communicating effectively with healthcare providers and strategies for healthy living. WISE is a national program that has been grant funded in Sussex County since 2013.
WISE, funded by DMHAS will take place at The Franklin Senior Center, beginning on Friday, January 20, 2017 from 9:30 – 11:30 am. and is open to anyone 60 or older. This program runs for six consecutive weeks and concludes on Friday, February 24, 2017. Breakfast will be made available each week and a $20.00 gift card is provided to seniors that attend 5 sessions.
A free program will take place at The Sussex/Wantage Library beginning on April 30, 2015 from 9:30 until 11 a.m. and is open to anyone 60 or older. This program runs for five consecutive weeks. This event is being sponsored by the Sussex Wantage Municipal Alliance.
WISE will also take place at The Sparta Walter Lynch Senior Center, Knoll Heights beginning February 2, 2017 from Noon – 2:00 pm. This program will run for six consecutive weeks and concludes on Thursday, March 16th. WISE is open to anyone person 60 years of age or older.
- Learn about the aging process and how to make healthy lifestyle choices
- Celebrate this exciting stage of life and all the benefits that come with it
- Discuss risk factors and behaviors older adults should avoid to stay healthy
- Examine how alcohol, prescription medications and over-the-counter medications affect seniors differently and how they can avoid problems
- Learn how to use simple tools to help you feel more empowered about your health and the healthcare you receive
To register for either WISE program, please contact Tina at 93-383-4787.
- Administration on Aging
- Medicare Information Source
- AARP - New Jersey
- Sussex County Home Page
- National Council on Aging
- Senior and Assisted Living Facilities
- Health and Age Centers
- Senior Corps