What is Youth Mental Health First Aid Training?
Youth Mental Health First Aid is a skills-based training course that teaches parents, school staff, peers, caregivers, teachers and more how to help adolescents who may be experiencing a mental health or substance use crisis. The training helps you identify, understand, and respond to signs of substance misuse and mental illnesses.
What Will You Learn?
Youth Mental Health First Aid helps you assist adolescents experiencing a mental health or substance use-related crisis. In the course you will learn:
- The risk factors and warning signs for mental health and substance misuse concerns
- Reviews typical adolescent development
- 5-step action plan to help someone in both crisis and non-crisis situations
- Where to go for help — professional, peer, and self-help resource
Below are the topics that will be covered during the training:
- Depression and mood disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Disruptive behaviors disorders
- Eating disorders
- Substance use disorders
The agency works to promote mental health, improve the care and treatment of individuals with mental illness, and to remove the stigma associated with mental disorders.
The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals in the United States.
2NDFLOOR is a confidential and anonymous helpline for New Jersey's youth and young adults. We are here to help you find solutions to the problems that you face at home, at school or at play.