Where You Can and Cannot Use Cannabis:
The same rules and consequences apply for driving under the influence of cannabis as they do for driving under the influence of alcohol or while intoxicated. Consuming cannabis can:
- Slow reaction time
- Decrease coordination
- Cause difficulty reacting to signals and sounds on the road.
An employer has the right to prohibit cannabis at their workplace and to require drug testing if any work procedure of safety protocols are compromised.
Cannabis is not legal at the federal level. Therefore, it is not legal to consume on federal land, building or to transport out of state.
Anyone pregnant and/or breastfeeding should restrict any consumptions of cannabis. Using cannabis can affect a baby’s development through:
- Lower birth weight
- Preterm birth and still birth
- And increase risk of brain and behavioral problems.
An individual is not allowed to grow their own cannabis for personal use.
Legal Cannabis Use:
- Adults must be age 21 and older to use, purchase, and carry cannabis
- Must be purchased through licensed cannabis dispensaries approved by NJ Cannabis Regulatory Commission (CRC)
Cannabis Use on Private Property:
- Adult must be age 21 or older to legally consume cannabis on private property
- Including, at licensed dispensaries approved for on-site consumption
Resources and Support
24-hour point of contact for state services for individuals under 21 years old
Caring Partners of Morris/Sussex
Coordinate services, resources and supports to children and young adults
Provides recovery support services and connection to other resources in Sussex County
Center for Prevention and Counseling Prevention Hub and your local Municipal Alliance Program are available to assist with prevention resources for youth, parents, schools, law enforcement, and the entire community.Prevention Resources include, but are not limited to:
- In-School and In-Community Curriculum Programming (i.e. We’re Not Buying it 2.0, PreVenture, Botvins Life Skills, Strengthening Families of Sussex County)
- Public Service Announcements
- After-School Youth Programming (i.e. Above the Influence & Youth Tobacco Action Group)
- Social Media Campaigns
- Youth Mental Health First Aid Training